Given the pressing social issue of poor nutrition and child obesity in the UK, Danone believe they have a role to play in promoting a healthy diet and lifestyle as part of their corporate social responsibility agenda. For more information click here
About Eat Like A Champ
Eat Like A Champ is a free, evidence - based healthy eating education programme aimed at primary school children aged 9-10 years – Year 5 (England and Wales), Primary 6 (Northern Ireland) and P6 (Scotland). The aim of the campaign is to tackle the growing issue of poor nutrition and obesity amongst children through six specially tailored lessons about healthy eating, hydration and staying active. The concept of Eat Like A Champ is to make healthy eating exciting, and to inspire children to adopt the healthy choices of champions they admire.
The content of Eat Like A Champ was written in collaboration with the British Nutrition Foundation to ensure that the lessons are of the highest possible standard, up to date with the latest government guidelines, and complement primary school curricula throughout the UK. Our 2016/17 resources have been updated to reflect Public Health Englands' recent changes to the Eatwell Guide.
Eat Like A Champ's History
- Eat Like A Champ was launched in 2010 and piloted in 18 primary schools.
- In 2011, Eat Like A Champ expanded to 53 primary schools where 95% of children participating reported to be eating more healthily after completing the Eat Like A Champ lessons.
- In 2012, Eat Like A Champ grew even further, reaching 500 UK primary classes.
- In 2015/2016 Eat Like A Champ ran in over 2,000 UK primary classes, reaching more than 60,000 children.
The Eat Like A Champ Resources
The 6 lessons have been developed to support the delivery of key healthy eating messages and to encourage greater physical activity. These resources are:
- Ready to use
- Linked to UK curricula
- Written in collaboration with the British Nutrition Foundation
- Supportive of healthy schools initiatives
- Compliant with the Core Food Competency Framework and European Food Framework
- In line with the Change4Life campaign
The first 3,000 teachers to register their Year 5/Primary 6/P6 classes to this years' Eat Like A Champ campaign will receive a FREE hard copy of our resources toolkit containing the 6 lesson plans, lesson resources and healthy eating activities for kids and parents.